Why does my dog get blocked glands?
- If kibble fed the faeces is soft and therefor does not put pressure on the sides of the anus where the glands are to help express them naturally.
- The more times they are manually expressed the lazier the muscles become and naturally expressing them become less possible.
- The glands may be in the wrong position.
How to help dogs naturally express anal glands
- In working dog and enriched range we have added fiber in the form of carrot and green leaf. For some this is not enough so ....
- Add 1 tsp of psyllium hush powder into each meals with a little extra water or bone broth.
- This ensures the faeces is wider and so puts pressure on the glands as it passes through.
The function of the anal glands are
- To produce a strong scent for marking territory
- To collect toxins and other substances eliminate them from the body, rather like sweat glands.
Here is a super blog written by our very own Functional Nutritionist Rowan Sanderson to help you understand more.
Always seek medical advice from a vet if you have any concerns.